What’s all the Twitter about? Guests Ian Kitajima of Oceanit and Angela Keen of The Limtiaco Company talk about Twitter.
- This past week, Gov. Linda Lingle released $300,000 to the Maui Economic Development Board for the development of a new center aimed at encouraging careers in science, technology, engineering and math.
- At this very moment, there are two historic ocean expeditions making their way across the Pacific toward Hawaii. First, a vessel dubbed the JUNK is Hawaii-bound as its sponsors hope to raise awareness about the impact of marine debris. Meanwhile, a woman by the name of Roz Savage is well on her way to becoming the first woman to row, solo, across the Pacific.
- UHM Seed Academy — Classes start Aug. 11. “Hybrid” courses, which offer a blend of online and face-to-face instruction, have become increasingly popular in schools and colleges nationwide. Now, a new high school in Hawaii has taken the same concept and applied it to an entire school.
- The Wall Street Journal just ran a fascinating piece on ‘The Virtual Vacation Home,’ describing how vacation home owners are using webcams to keep an eye on their properties. A couple in California is keeping a careful eye on their vacation home on Maui.
- A Guam-based U.S. Navy nuclear submarine this summer may have leaked trace amounts of radiation at bases in Japan and in Guam, a Navy spokesman confirmed. The leak on the USS Houston was found on July 17 when the submarine was in dry dock in Hawaii.
- The dream of commercial space flight and exploration was dealt a blow this weekend when a rocket launched from Kwajalein Atoll, located about 2,500 miles southwest of Hawaii, failed. The Falcon 1 rocket was launched by California-based SpaceX â€” short for Space Exploration Technologies.
- Upcoming Event: Tech Meetup for Content Hub Identity. Management Platform or chi.mp for short. Tuesday, Aug 12, 2008 at PF Chang from 5:30 to 7:30. Meet the tech people behind this innovative web project.
- Song pick of the week contributed by a faithful listener: Exit Clov and their song “For Abednego”: http://tinyurl.com/exitclov
One thought on “Bytemarks Cafe – Episode 1 – Aug. 6, 2008”